SAMPE Europe Technical Conference-Southampton 2018 succesfull
Published on: Tuesday 25 September 2018
From 11th to 13th of September, 240 delegates from 17 countries attended the 2-day SAMPE Europe Conference 2018 in Southampton.
The Conference theme “Large Structures” was highlighted by the two key note speakers:
- Kay Blohowiak, from Boeing presented a view on “Materials Challenges for the Future of Aerospace.”
- Urs Meier, from EMPA Switzerland focused on “Large Structures of Advanced Composites in Civil Engineering.”
The key-notes were followed by almost 60 speakers covering 16 different sessions. Each session covered a specific topic or application including Space, Automotive, Marine, Renewables, and Offshore.
6 Excursions and an Automotive Special
On Wednesday afternoon, there were visits to 5 carefully selected companies: Formaplex, Ineos Team UK, Sunseeker, RNLI Lifeboats, and GE Aviation. All destinations were a great success and sold out!
In addition was the showcase of invited presentations on “Composites in UK Automotive Applications” in the Lecture Theatre of the Beaulieu National Motor Museum. These talks featured past and present F1 manufacture and the MacLaren F1 Road car. Guided tours by the automotive experts of the Beaulieu Museum were highly appreciated by the delegates.
Networking is a SAMPE strength
The Conference Dinner in the Brabazon Restaurant at the Beaulieu Museum was enjoyed by a very enthusiastic audience with delegates of different nationalities sharing experiences.
The lunch and coffee breaks in between Conference sessions are an ideal occasion for networking. Both the poster presentations and the table-top exhibition of 30 companies and institutions were very busy.
The Winner makes it all!
During the Conference Dinner at Beaulieu, Student Seminar Jury member Charlotte Saläun revealed the winners of the 33rd SAMPE Europe Student Seminar.
PhD student Paul Van der Sypt from France and Master student Alice Lamaro from Switzerland were the proud winners of the 2018 event.
A special moment in the evening was the presentation of the Mort Kushner Award for life time achievement to David Carlton from SUKIC – SAMPE UK & Ireland Chapter, who has served SAMPE for over 30 years.
After a celebratory speech by Prof. Andy Long, Chair of SUKIC, President of SAMPE Global, Brent Strong, gave the Award to David.
Other news items 2018
- 20-11-2018 | SUTEC 2018 Sampe Ukraine Club 8th Technical Conference
- 27-09-2018 | Winners 33rd International Sampe Europe Students Seminar
- 25-09-2018 | SAMPE Europe Technical Conference-Southampton 2018 succesfull
- 06-06-2018 | BOOK NOW: September 2018, SOUTHAMPTON
- 05-06-2018 | 3 High Level Tutorials by Top Notch Specialists!
- 04-06-2018 | AUTOMOTIVE SPECIAL in the Beaulieu National Motor Museum
- 02-03-2018 | Call for Papers - Conference 2018 Southampton